Sunday, February 15, 2015

Brownies!

It's been a month since I became Allergy Free. I was about to link to the post explaining what that means exactly, but apparently all I 've written is post that promises a more in depth post later. That will eventually come, but the synopsis is that  I've been a whole month without wheat, milk, eggs, fish/shellfish, soy, tree nuts/peanuts! Wow! No sandwiches, no pizza, no burgers...none of the stuff I formerly survived on.

A few days ago I made brownies! This recipe is NOT my own.
It came from Chocolate Covered Katie

You can visit her site for the full recipe, but here are the ingredients if you are curious!
She has tons of great recipes, so go check her out!
  • 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats (40g) (See nutrition link below for substitutions)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave (or honey, but not for strict vegans.) (75g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (40g) (See nutrition link for substitution notes)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk.)
  • optional: more chips, for presentation
***********************************************************************
Not a food blogger. My very non-fancy pic is of the batter.


My recommendations. (UPDATED)
I followed the recipe as is but only had rolled oats. The difference in these two, from what I can see are the quick oats are smaller. So next time I think I would put the rolled oats in my food processor first to get them to a fine powder before adding the other ingredients. As you can see in my pic, the oats left the batter kinda chunky.

Also, I cooked mine for the specific amount of time, but they still seemed kinda "loose". I froze the batch and once thawed they are firm enough.

EDITED 3/2/15
I made a second batch of these this weekend and they were even better! I did process the rolled oats this time and cooked for about 25 minutes. They were even better than before! YUM!

You can't taste the black beans AT ALL! YUM! These are awesome with a big glass of milk, or in my case, rice milk!

4 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine black beans in brownies but guess there is a first time for everything...love you,,momma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mumsie, you can't taste the black beans, though I really don't think you'd like these, because they are very chocolaty and I know you aren't a huge fan. :)

      Delete
  2. I love homemade brownies! I've never used beans in baking but I've seen lots of recipes for it. YUM! Tersa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The extra chocolate chips really make them decadent!

      Delete