Monday, February 2, 2015

As promised the "protein bar" report!

I used to be a big fan of commercial protein bars. At work, I didn't always have time to eat, so it was a way to keep the hunger at bay. Eventually I grew tired of them, but when I knew I was going to have to do the elimination diet, I tried to find an allergy free version.. I could find nothing free of all 6 allergens. Then I found Tessa Domestic Diva. This is her recipe:

No Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Lara Bars - Paleo
Prep time: 
Total time: 
Serves: 16
Ingredients
  • 2 cups roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
  • 15-18 Medjool dates, pitted
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
  • ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips, to taste
  • 2-4 tablespoons coconut oil if necessary

Instructions
  1. Place tasted sunflower seeds into the bowl of a food processor. Whir for a couple of minutes and watch as the sunflower seeds turn into a flour and then start to clump up a bit as it converts towards a butter!
  2. Add in your dates and salt, and process to break up and pulverize the dates. Mixture should be sticky and press together easily. If not, add a tablespoon or two of melted coconut oil.
  3. Add in chocolate chips and pulse a few times just to mix.
  4. Press the sticky batter into an 8 x 8 or comparably sized pan. I like to line with waxed paper for easy removal.
  5. Press the mixture evenly into the dish.
  6. Refrigerate or freeze to firm up, then slice up into desired shapes &size.
*******
Again, this is not my recipe. It belongs to: Tessa Domestic Diva She has tons of other great recipes, so go check her out!

My own photo of them doesn't show the absolute yumminess of these! If you like sunflower seeds, you will love these!

I keep mine in the freezer. But they traveled well when we went to dallas in a insulated bag. They do get really soft if kept out for too long though.

Mine, made about 5 bars and if I calcuated everything correctly this is about 500 calories a bar and 10 grams of protein. Quite a bit, so don't go chowing down the whole batch even though they are yummy enough to do just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment